GREAT IRISH ADVENTURE



I remember finding it surreal to be called a medical student when I first arrived in UCC, Ireland. Being a medical student sounded like a pretty serious stuff and I was overwhelmed by the expectations that comes with it. To my surprise, my first year experience wasn’t that bad. Even though there are a lot of things to be understood and memorised, we weren’t burdened with a hectic schedule as the fourth and final year students are.
My first year experience in Cork revolves around getting used to the weather, the accent and the distance from home. Winter time this year was quite mild, as I was told. The few months of gloomy and wet weather in winter made me appreciate the sun that comes in the spring and summer. Living in a foreign country taught me about being independent, not only physically but mentally and emotionally too. Only in difficult times do we realize that all this time, we only have ourselves and Allah to have our back.
There are a lot of things that I love about Cork, but my favourite would be the people and the accent. The people are warm and friendly towards everyone. Friendly Irish people taught me how contagious a smile can be and how impactful it is to be generous with your smile.
Within less than a year, I learnt to do a lot of things I’ve always wanted to do. I travelled to other countries with my friends, I explored national parks and cliffs in Ireland and I learnt archery. Those are precious memories that I’ll cherish all my life. I hope I can explore more places and learn more things next year, while I still have the free time.
My first year here wouldn’t be as exciting as it is without the people I have around me. As the saying goes, ‘the best joy is shared joy’. It is always enjoyable to have company with me, especially while traveling and cooking. And for that, I am forever grateful for the wonderful people I have around me here.  
  • MH