PPMC TRAVELOGUE COMPETITION: WINNER'S ENTRY - WANDERLUST OF A LONE WOLF


[Photo source: Google]

Wanderlust of a Lone Wolf







I had always wanted to go on a solo journey  like those movies where the protagonist find something surprising along the way, maybe  about themselves, people or places that they saw and explored. For me, the decision of going alone initially was not an active and willing choice but after difficulties of finding an appropriate travel partner, I decided, “What the heck, let’s just get on with it!”. Then, I was excited for the journey for weeks, being a slight perfectionist, I like to come prepared with knowledge to a foreign land, hence I scoured the amazing Internet for tips about transportations, easy sentences to greet and converse with the locals,lodgings and places to see.  But of course as a normal human being, after all the articles, tips and check lists that I read and ticked , I still had a small panic attack in the bus on the way to the airport. Rationalizing myself, I repeat a mantra,”I am going to have an amazing..I am going to have an amazing time…” and I did! It was an amazing experience, indeed, from meeting new people;fellow travellers and locals, learning the history, local customs, language to experimenting with food that you just know that you can’t get anywhere else. Of course, going alone is not for all but it suits me as I don’t like to be constricted by other people and as an introvert, I value my alone time. Solitude  provides you more time to think and appreciate the travelling experiences; the unfamiliar taste of foreign food on your taste buds, the warm sun and cool wind on your skin while looking down at the scenic view of beautiful mountainous valley of  Deplhi and the Santorini’s vivid orange-red breath-taking sunset that makes you believe that this is actually heaven on earth. It makes me certain more than ever that there is a superior power that created all this and no man’s creations can even rival these.  But of course, all these can also be experienced when you are travelling in duo or group but there are things that are more challenging when you are a solitary traveller. I remember that I miscalculated a travel time from Corfu to Athens and arrived in Athens 6 hours earlier than expected. I have no place to stay as my plan was to stay at the Piraeus Port for a few hours before boarding the ferry to Santorini. 

Unfortunately,there wasn’t even any waiting room for the ferry and my body and mind are so worn-out after 11 hours of bus journey. After 20 minutes contemplating, I decided to go to the city and sleep at the Backpackers Hostel that I went a week ago and thus, I boarded the city train and arrived safely 25 minutes later but found out as I was entering the room that it is occupied by a few males. Thankfully,I arrived at midnight, the room was dark and everyone is sleeping so there wasn’t any awkward encounters. I went straight to an empty bed and plopped my fatigued body,went to sleep and leave that morning at 5 o’clock before anyone else was up. Even while writing this article,I couldn’t even recognize that calm, brave and flexible girl. She was like another persona within me. People are amazed of the fact that I survived alone for 15 days in another country with no obvious mental or physical injuries other than blisters on my foot. Truthfully, I surprised even myself. I didn’t even think that it was possible in the beginning and I did it! I actually did it! That alone makes my heart swelled with pride and amazement and now, I like to think that I know myself better than before.  I remember someone said to me that to get to know people better, travel with them. Well, why not get to know yourself better and go travel lone wolf style.

                                                                                                                    -Lone Wolf-